Extracting Immutable Objects
Code: design, design patterns, email, ListLibrary.net, mailing lists, object orientation, Ruby
In the last few weeks I’ve been rehabilitating some of the first object-oriented code I wrote in the hopes of bringing my mailing list archive back online. Lately I’ve been refactoring some of the earliest, core code: the
Message class. It manages the individual emails in the system and, because I didn’t understand how to extract functionality, had turned into something of a God Class.
Yesterday I tweeted about a really satisfying cleanup:
ListLibrary.net UI Design
Code: graphic design, ListLibrary.net, mailing lists, user interface
I wanted ListLibrary.net to have a really nice user interface for browsing and reading mailing lists at length. The design leans towards terseness: get rid of the clutter and assume that people who’ve browsed a page or two will understand how things are sorted out.
ListLibrary.net is officially launched.
I built a site to read mailing list archives because of the list MUD-dev. It’s a high-quality, all-signal discussion of online game developers. The authors are some of the creators of the current crop of massively multiplayer virtual worlds, and the archive collects their wisdom.
My last day at the Post is Feb 20, and I’m headed to Chicago on the 22nd. I’ll be helping a family member recover from surgery, so my schedule (both day-to-day and how long I’ll be in town) is pretty vague, but I’ll be around at least a few weeks before returning to DC.