Extracting Immutable Objects
Code: , , , , , ,
Comments Off on Extracting Immutable Objects

In the last few weeks I’ve been rehabilitating some of the first object-oriented code I wrote in the hopes of bringing my mailing list archive back online. Lately I’ve been refactoring some of the earliest, core code: the Message class. It manages the individual emails in the system and, because I didn’t understand how to extract functionality, had turned into something of a God Class.

Yesterday I tweeted about a really satisfying cleanup:


Continue this post

ListLibrary.net UI Design
Code: , , ,
Comments Off on ListLibrary.net UI Design

I wanted ListLibrary.net to have a really nice user interface for browsing and reading mailing lists at length. The design leans towards terseness: get rid of the clutter and assume that people who’ve browsed a page or two will understand how things are sorted out.

Continue this post

Announcing ListLibrary.net
Biz: , , ,
Comments Off on Announcing ListLibrary.net

ListLibrary.net is officially launched.

I built a site to read mailing list archives because of the list MUD-dev. It’s a high-quality, all-signal discussion of online game developers. The authors are some of the creators of the current crop of massively multiplayer virtual worlds, and the archive collects their wisdom.

Continue this post

Command/Query Separation
Code: , , , ,
Comments Off on Command/Query Separation

Objects contain both state (data) and methods, and methods should be classifiable into commands that change state and queries that introspect state. The principle of Command/Query Separation (CQS) expresses a design principle I’ve intuitively used as a rule of thumb. With the conscious consideration that comes from hearing it, I knew how to improve some of my own code.

Continue this post

Small Plans
Biz: , , , , ,
Comments Off on Small Plans

My last day at the Post is Feb 20, and I’m headed to Chicago on the 22nd. I’ll be helping a family member recover from surgery, so my schedule (both day-to-day and how long I’ll be in town) is pretty vague, but I’ll be around at least a few weeks before returning to DC.

Continue this post