I picked up the term “flintstoning” from my visit to Cambrian House. It’s the practice of substituting a little human work for functionality until there’s enough demand for the feature that it’s worth the coder time to implement. Let me give you an example.
Earlier today I gave my two weeks’ notice to Hostway. I’ve worked at Hostway since April 2005 as a maintenence coder on RegistryPro and, since last month, part-time on the web frontend of an internal monitoring system. I’m not going to be posting about why. There’s no exciting scandal, it’s just a case of mismatched needs and goals.
I’ll post about my new job when I have one. Thanks to my friends and family for all their support.
Cambrian House, the startup I snuck a peek at and got a hat-tip from has opened for a public beta test. They’re sort of an open-source business incubator: folks submit ideas, the best of which become projects; folks submit code, art, and copy, the best of which go into the finished project. Cambrian House (or a spinoff company, perhaps) runs the project as an online business, paying royalties back to the folks who contributed.
I wrote about building a site with clean URLs, but that’s useless to you. No, you’ve got a creaking hulking monster of a site that coughs up URLs like “render.php?action=list_mailbox&id=42189”, was built “to meet an accelerated schedule”, and eats summer interns whole.
I’m sort of participating in Rails Day 2006. I say “sorta” because I’m trying to build an app in one day but I’m not actually in the competition.
I love shoving around large amounts of data. Unicode is an industry standard for encoding data in most every written script there’s ever been. It has over 97,000 characters. A while ago I read about a guy who made his own Unicode poster and I realized I had an opportunity for a fun project. I think Unicode is an invaluable and beautiful project, and this is my tribute to it.
Last night at the June 2006 ChiPy meeting I gave a presentation on how I wrote a few small Python scripts to take apart the Unicode PDF of all its glyphs and recombine them into giant ascii-art-like posters.
As an aside in my post about Cambrian House I posted some code for making pretty URLs. A few people (no, not CH) have asked for a little more info, so I’ve written up an explanation of that code.